St Mary’s dominates clash

August 05, 2017

Regan Gardner clears the ball from the pack for St Mary's.

Oscar Loweke charges towards goal for Tabilk.

St Mary's star Sam Thomson takes a shot on goal

Tabilk's under-12s huddle together before taking on St Mary's.

Kane Chapman prepares to boot the ball forward for Tabilk.

St Mary’s


Well done boys on a great effort against a speedy Tabilk.

Tabilk certainly has a great outfit and has dominated all season.

No excuses for the loss, but it was a brave effort with Tom Allen playing on despite a serious back injury and the loss of Hugh Smith and Jonty Mann with concussions early in the game.

Beau Smith again read the play better than anyone and stopped countless attacks on goal.

Darcy Gleeson was active and aggressive, Nic Quigg is quite simply a Rolls-Royce, Regan Gardner worked his butt off, Morgan Donovan was versatile for his team-mates and Tom Kelly had his best game of the year.

Hold your heads high, boys. Let’s work for each other and as a team in the last game to make the finals.

Big thanks to sponsors Joe and Janelle Puppa, Ken Whitfort at Total Sports, Peter at The Loan Gallery and Dean Gardner from DBG Concepts.

Remember, they have backed our squad all year and deserve a big thanks.


With only patches of clouds, and some welcome sunshine breaking through, there was quite a gathering at home to witness the second-last home-and-away match between St Mary’s and Tabilk.

The Saints were super-keen to finish off the season with a consistent four quarters of footy.

With a full squad and a game plan to match, consistency, fast ball movement and hard team footy was the focus.

During the season the Saints have improved out of sight, with several newcomers and previous season players bonding together to show they have finals on their agenda come late August.

The opening bounce set the pace, with the first tap-out from ruckman Tim Potts putting the ball clear of the centre and into the hands of Hudson Kaak, and the big man slotted home his first goal within minutes.

Defensive footy from Tabilk saw the ball travel from one end of the ground to the other for a period of time, but there was another goal to Kaak and some unselfish team footy which gave Tyler Best his first for the match.

Kaak scored his third goal with a long bomb and the Saints were up by 24 points at quarter-time.

A flurry of goals saw the Saints start the second quarter with a bang. Strong clearances from the centre provided Kaak and Best with opportunities, while some smart leading from Will O’Sullivan resulted in all three registering majors.

A little bit of scrappy play drifted in but was soon ironed out, and with Best snapping his third and a running goal from Potts, the lead was increased to 61 points midway through the second quarter.

Finley Maccoll snapped truly to register his first, while another running snap from Kaak saw him notch his fifth with two minutes left to play.

A goal to Will Eager on the siren finished off the second quarter with the Saints holding a commanding 79-point lead.

The opening of the third term saw Tabilk on the board early, but quick goals to Kaak and Dylan Cook continued the momentum of the second quarter.

Contested footy continued but some lost opportunities cost the Saints on the scoreboard.

They continued to dominate the contested footy, with Kaak slotting his seventh and a running goal to Matthew Collard increasing the scoreline.

The Saints continued to share the ball, and another strong leading mark from Kaak presented him with his eighth goal for the match with a quarter remaining.

By then, it was the Saints by 100 points.

Running out the fourth in a strong fashion was on the cards, but to its credit Tabilk showed pride and battled hard.

It took until the seventh minute of the last quarter before Eager registered the first score for the quarter.

Jake Lay presented forward with a strong lead, scoring his first for the match.

Tabilk continued its hard play and was rewarded with a set shot goal, before O’Sullivan took a strong contested mark in the goal square to respond with his second major.

Making something from nothing, Maccoll snapped a goal on his left from the behind post.

A competitive quarter from Tabilk saw only an eight-point increase in the deficit, with St Mary’s running out the winner by 108 points.



After being beaten by top team St Mary’s in the first round by 39 points, this game was always going to be a tough assignment.

In the first quarter Tabilk got off to a solid start with Oscar Loweke providing a great option at full-forward.

The backline was holding up well with Joel Mills and Harry Palmer leading the way and doing a great job staying in front and repelling many forward attacks.

St Mary’s came back in the second quarter and its height around the marking contests saw the scores even at half-time.

After the main break St Mary’s came out all guns blazing and jumped out to more than two goals in front.

But to Tabilk’s credit, it fought back hard with two goals of its own, and went into the last quarter one point behind.

It wasn’t looking great with three quick goals early to St Mary’s in the last quarter, but Tabilk came back with two goals, only to be beaten by the siren which signalled a nine-point win to St Mary’s.

Will Le Deux was a solid contributor for Tabilk, as was Somaiya Harriden in the ruck.

Tom Mason was lively again in the forward line and Harry Shiner provided plenty of presence in the backline.

Captain Angus Murray was again dominant and must have run half a marathon. It was catch-me-if-you-can and Angus was clearly best-on-ground.

Kane Chapman worked hard all day and was a solid contributor, as was Finbar O’Sullivan, who also had a stint on the ball.

Blake Ezard was again consistent on his wing. He gave his best at every contest and won plenty of the footy.

It was by far Tabilk’s best performance of the season and it is great to see the team continue to improve each week and the players’ confidence and belief rise with every game.

There are some great pics of the kids again from Renate Abra — check them out on Facebook.

Score: St Mary’s 7.6 (48) d Tabilk 6.3 (39)

Best: Angus Murray, Joel Mills, Blake Ezard, Kane Chapman, Harry Palmer, Finbar O’Sullivan, Harry Shiner, Will Le Deux, Tom Mason, Somaiya Harriden.

Goals: Eli Reid 2; Kane Chapman, Oscar Loweke, Angus Murray.


With finals almost upon us and playing the second-top side, we knew we had to perform at our best at Kings Park.

With seven players out last week, it was handy to have four of the seven back on the field and a big thank you to N. Whitling who stepped up to help out.

With J. Moore kicking two goals in the first quarter and our onballers and backline standing strong, it was a great start which set the standard for a great match.

In the second quarter, as a team we started to carry the ball and run through the lines, giving forwards O. Sepulveda, H. Downie, L. Whitling and J. Wallden more opportunity to kick goals, while on our backline R. Fox-Old, B. Bath, N. Glentz, L. Sommers, J. Chapman, W. O’Brien and H. May worked hard to keep St Mary’s scoreless in the second.

T. Barnes and J. Moore kicked a goal each.

In the third quarter and working hard into the wind, S. McMaster, T. Barnes, W. Dalton, J. Robertson, G. Chamouras and G. Garner were all excellent in controlling the midfield with strong, hard tackles and fantastic ball work in and around the packs.

Goals went to J. Moore and S. McMaster (2) and J. Robertson. In the fourth quarter, knowing that St Mary’s would not give up, Tabilk pushed harder and faster to keep St Mary’s to minimal scoring opportunities, with a great team effort all-round.

J. Moore and S. McMaster kicked one goal each.

The final score did not reflect the game that was played by both sides.

Thanks to our sponsors The Royal Mail, The Coach Shop and Billy Burgers.

A big thank you to the Green Lantern, B. Gladwin, Linc Sullivan, P. Bath, Barrell, and our A1 trainer Jan and Superclass team managers Janine and Kev for organising last week’s match and trainings while our coach was on safari. It goes to show what a great foundation we have around our players.

Score: St Mary’s 1.5 (11) lt Tabilk 10.7 (67)

Best: G. Chamouras, T. Barnes, W. Dalton

Goals: J. Moore 5; S. McMaster 3; T. Barnes, J. Robertson.


It’s always a pleasure to play at Kings Park. The ground is always in great condition and the weather looked after us as well (especially after the wind on Saturday).

When you are playing the quality sides it’s sometimes a matter of setting little goals and focusing on them rather than on the scoreboard.

That was how we set up at the weekend and to the boys’ credit we achieved most of the goals we set.

Jedd and Harry have been doing a great job in the ruck during the second half of the season and once again competed actively, meaning our onballers were always in the contest.

Tom Garner has really gone to another level during the past few weeks and broke clear from stoppages to sprint away on numerous occasions.

Cain Murray was also active at stoppages, getting in-and-under and releasing players like Moose, Dan and Lachy Russell to help us drive the ball forward.

Trent got the job on Huddo in the first half and competed strongly in defence.

It’s always a great learning experience when you play on quality and I think he came away having learnt a bit, but also with the understanding that he is capable of competing well at this level.

The one positive to come out of the whole season is that the boys have never laid down.

At half-time the scoreboard had blown out a bit, but with encouragement from the team’s leaders, the boys rallied.

Cain snapped a great goal around the corner and with several more close calls, we played good, positive football.

In the last quarter Josh Boyer bobbed up for two, while Kieran — after kicking his first right foot kick for the year — followed up his own ball (it only went about 8m) and, channelling his inner Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, wheeled on to the left to kick one of his better goals for the year.

The only sour point for the day was the last-minute injury to Cain Murray when he landed awkwardly after a marking contest.

Cain has been outstanding this year and will be missed next week.

Two trainings and one match to go. No premierships this year but an enjoyable season nonetheless.



The young Lions secured a spot in the finals after a historic first game at Wandong.

We won the toss and chose to kick with the wind and uphill.

We realised that playing on the smaller ground made controlling the ball in defence more important, as a turnover could be costly.

First use of the ball from the midfielders was our aim, and we were able to do that for the most part.

Some of our senior players struggled to stamp their usual authority over the game.

We were in front at the first change and the boys were reminded of their particular roles.

Wandong came out in the second term with some quick-running players and one high flyer. Miskicking was affecting both teams’ scoreboard pressure.

At half-time, accountability was the key message and contested pressure was emphasised.

Seymour continued to win the ball in the third term, with more numbers supporting each other, especially at the stoppages.

The message at the final change was to keep building on our lead as this was crucial to locking in a date with finals.

Awards went to Brandon Parsons for his persistent defensive pressure and Jackson Day for his relentless tackling ability.

More in Sport
Login Sign Up

Dummy text